16.12.05

Bark Psychosis

PolloxNiner's Ulrich Schnauss post made me shudder with three words - "drum and bass". At first, I lost a little respect for Schnauss, but once I collected myself I was quickly reminded that the past is the past, and that sometimes, such things are forgivable.

In 1994, I recieved a package that had two albums in it. One was Seefeel's Quique, the other was Bark Psychosis' Hex. I immediately immersed myself in both. Seefeel, I understood right away. It was all new for me, but it clicked. The washey loops, pattering electronics, the structure, it was all foreign, but it all made sense. Bark Psychosis, on the other hand was atmospheric, yet minimal, and no matter how many times I listened to it, I wasn't able to place where it should be filed. And I kept on coming back to it. Four years later, I discovered Talk Talk's Spirit Of Eden and Laughing Stock and Bark Psychosis makes a whole lot more sense to me. They've even shared members at times.

As it is with a few great records, I believe that Hex is something that should be heard rather than chalked up to a few words.

So, what does this have to do with Ulrich Schnauss? Yes, it's a roundabout babble, but Graham Sutton disbanded Bark Psychosis for years after Hex to concentrate on his drum 'n bass project, Boymerang. Although I felt somewhat stabbed in the back upon learning this, it was all made up for with a return to Bark Psychosis with 2004's Codename: Dustsucker.

DOWNLOAD
Bark Psychosis - From What Is Said To When It's Read MP3 [Codename: Dustsucker]
Bark Psychosis - Burning The City MP3 [Codename: Dustsucker]
Bark Psychosis - Miss Abuse MP3 [Codename: Dustsucker]
Seefeel - Polyfusion MP3
Seefeel - Plainsong MP3

LINKS
Bark Psychosis offical website

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you know you love Ulrich Schnauss...

12:38 PM  
Blogger Young Poisoner said...

Oh, I DO. I just can't back up the drum 'n bass. It's 2006... get with it!

12:43 PM  
Blogger Young Poisoner said...

Well... it's ALMOST 2006.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunny mentions you in her blog -- and for good reason. That Suede post was awesome. Brought me back.

Keep up the great job!

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my first encounter with ulrich schnauss was several years ago. i don't even know which record it was because it belonged to my ex & it was a CDR, but the entire recording was a giant homage to the cocteau twins. having that experience, i've never really known of ulrich schnauss as a D&B producer, but i may just have my head in the sand.

& on the subject of seefeel, i recently listened to quique (unfortunately, it's one of many records i "lost in the divorce"...literally). but i was surprised at how well it had aged. infinitely better than some of the things from warp's AI series. but sometimes i think that what mark clifford has done to other people's recordings is better than what he did with seefeel.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Young Poisoner said...

Thanks Jordan!

And Shannon.. I forgot about those AI comps. Yikes.
And YES, Quique is still great!

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home